What should you do if you suspect abuse or neglect?
- In case of any emergency, dial 9-1-1 immediately.
- In addition, you must take these two steps if you suspect or know that a child is suffering abuse or neglect.
- Step #1. Call the toll-free 24-hour hotline for reporting child abuse and neglect.
1-877 NJ ABUSE (652-2873)
- Step #2. Call the Rutgers Police.
Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Biomedical and Health Sciences at Newark
Make a report:
- If you know or suspect that a minor is suffering abuse or neglect.
- Regardless of who the suspected culprit may be - a family member, teacher, religious leader, student, or coach, well-respected or not.
- Regardless of where the abuse or neglect may be occurring, for example in the home, at Rutgers, or elsewhere.
Before making a report, you do not need to conduct your own investigation or be certain that mistreatment has occurred.
Anyone who makes a report in good faith receives legal protection from retaliation. So pick up the phone. It's your legal duty, and it's the right thing to do.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact the Protection of Minors Steering Committee at